The Absolute 15 Truths That Hit You As You’re Growing Up
What’s growing up been like for you? Has it been a walk in the park (I highly doubt it) or a punch in the face? A bolt from the blue? A kick down the ladder? God, I feel like I can go on forever! I bet it has been the latter three, hasn’t it? This one is about the actual epiphanies that strike you in the process, the real realizations, the important revelations.
1. Growing up is realizing that you’re not ready for life, admitting to yourself that you can be cruel, too and that you’re capable of hurting people.
2. It’s looking back and finding a trail of people that you’ve left behind, some you’ll never be able to run to again
3. Growing up is understanding that you can’t scream “Mother!” Every time something goes wrong, and realizing that she, too, is a person with problems and issues that made her who she is and that maybe, just maybe for once seeing that she, too, needs help.
4. Growing up is failing over and over again until who knows when this train will stop and maybe you’ll one day get to see yourself in a better place, in a better state.
5. Growing up is anxiety, depression and a long wave of panic attacks followed by a brief period of normal breathing until the three hit again.
6. Growing up is trying hard to win that Oscar award for best actor/actress because God only knows how many times you’ve put a smile on your face when all you wanted to do was punch a wall until your arm went numb.
7. Growing up is understanding the true meaning of doubt, if you don’t doubt yourself, if you don’t doubt your abilities, if you don’t secretly see yourself as an imposter every time someone even suggests that you’re good at something, then you’re messed up.
8. Growing up is forgiving those you couldn’t hurt back at the time and those who wronged you.
9. Growing up is letting go, letting go of a past that once upon a time meant everything to you and held you back for God knows how long.
10. Growing up is admitting that you’re human; with weaknesses, vulnerabilities and a tremendous
amount of fuck ups.
11. Growing up is realizing the necessity of the process of elimination; eliminating toxic people, eliminating bad influences, eliminating uncomfortable vibes.
12. Growing up is experiencing the long awaited epiphany that is the idea that you should never sacrifice your comfortableness for someone else’s happiness.
13. Growing up is cutting the last thread that’s been trying to pull you back in for so long, be it a dying relationship or an abusive friendship.
14. Growing up is realizing that you shouldn’t apologize for the things you want. That you don’t owe people explanations for your every step and every decision.
15. Growing up is surrounding yourself with fences, brick walls, iron shields and every single form of protection you can think of until you realize that the only person you’re bullshitting is yourself.
So, stop being too damn hard on yourself. We’re all still growing up.